Tuesday, January 15, 2008

del.icio.us & podcasts

I created a del.icio.us account today http://del.icio.us/Doodle_bug
I also made a del.icio.us search for retro and followed the trail to a bookmark on 70's TV shows. Its a great idea to have your bookmarks follow you around - now I just have to find time to add them all.

The first favorite site I bookmarked was Josh Agle www.shag.com I first saw his work in Outre gallery in Elizabeth St. He designs retro stuff thats like 50's cigarette advertising.



He's also heavily influenced by Tiki culture. I'm a fan of Tiki's too. Here's my collection, I've thrown in a few retro 70's carved madonna's too!
Perhaps I should add a photo of my old Balinese wall plaques?





Shag's designs look like this plate I found at the Salvos. It reminds me of seeing Tezuka's anime 1001 Nights at the Kino cinema. It had the same 60's playboy graphics. It also had a pink tinge because the film stock was old and brittle. Halfway through they managed to set fire to the film!
A few years later there was a more successful screening of 1001 Nights at ACMI to tie in with the Tezuka exhibit at the National Gallery of Victoria. I found some podcasts Philip Brophy made for the exhibition at: http://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/podcasts/namedSets/3/playlist.html?genSetId=5

2 comments:

Bonito Club said...

We've got a couple of beautiful Shag prints, from Outre. Actually we've got quite a lot of stuff from Outre!

Bonito Club said...

ps: you should definitely post a photo of your old Balinese wall plaques! Would love to see them.