Monday, November 19, 2007

MySpace & Facebook

I've created MySpace and Facebook accounts. Found some familiar faces in the Swinnie part of Facebook. MySpace looks like it would take lots of time to customise and would duplicate things I've already set up in Blogger like RSS feeds. The search facility is a bit of a blunt instrument, it would be good if it ranked sites in order of relevance (like how often your searchword is tagged in a page)

I made a search in MySpace for El Santo because I'm a fan of 1950's, 60's & 70's masked mexican wrester films - Des Mangan used to show them on SBS and got me hooked. Since then ACMI at Fed Square have shown a couple, but mostly I find DVDs 2nd hand at Dixons. I've gathered a library of over half a dozen. Here's the cover of one of the DVDs I have at home.

The 1st page of MySpace results were rubbish, I changed to searching MySpaceBlogs and had better luck. I found this neat page www.myspace.com/bluedemon1922 dedicated to Blue Demon who teamed up with El Santo & also made solo films. Its a popular site, 857 friends! There's cinema lobby cards, posters & film clips with funky music.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey yeah, what happened to Des Mangan? He doesn't get to introduce the cult films on SBS any more, does he?
One of many budget cuts, no doubt.

s said...

Hi Bec
Yes, they cut all movie intro people at SBS! Its the reason why Margaret & David packed up The Movie Show and moved to ABC.

Fred said...

I think it's time to start a push to get Des Mangan back on the SBS with those cult movies.
They were fantastic.
I remember one evening, my wife and I were surfing channels and came across the last 10 minutes or so of an asian film, and the crux of it was that some guy had died and his niece was humping the corpse. Most strange. Anyhow, the credits scrolled on, then Des came back on and said "Well, what can I say... fu@k me dead". Never laughed so hard.
We miss his wit and insightful views into what were quite often, some of the worst imagineable movies. We still watched them though. Anything there was better than another American sitcom.