Monday, January 21, 2008

Second Life & Library 2.0


I read some pages about 2nd life linked from the 23Things Task 22 site. Mostly about using it as a library youth outreach tool. When I followed a link for "SimTeach: Universities and private islands in Second Life" I found that The Australian Film TV & Radio School has its own island called Esperance. They run Machinima screenings and festivals of virtual films. I’ve been to some sessions of the Machinima festival shown at ACMI and I think some of their shorts have screened in the MIAF animation festival. Even if its cheaper to look at stuff on Esperance island, I think its too many hoops to jump through. Its easier to just roll up and see stuff on the big screen. Better with an audience too!

Did some reading on Library 2.0 as well. I can see the benefits for both the library and the user. But do library users want to spend more time interacting with their library, even if its via sexed up technology? I think they’ll need to see big payoffs/bribes to get motivated (ipods, grocery vouchers?).

No comments: